Thread & Worm Grinding
Benefits of thread grinding
Grinding consists of removing material from a workpiece with the use of a rotating abrasive wheel or disk. While rotating, each particle of the grinding wheel removes a small chip of the workpiece material as its edges makes contact with the workpiece, usually at high speed.
In the case of thread and worm grinding, the threads are done on a grinding machine using specially dressed grinding wheels matching the shape and angle of the threads. The process is usually used to produce very accurate threads, taper threads, custom threads or threads in hard materials.
Pertaining to threads and worm threads, some of the advantages of grinding are:
- Thread grinding in very hard materials
- Ability to grind threads larger than 2.5 inches in diameter
- Ability to grind worm threads to specific requirements such as lead and lead angle
- Ability to produce very smooth and precise thread surfaces, critical for worm applications, which in turn allows for higher mechanical quality and performance
- Ability to attain tolerances in the tenths of thousands of an inch (i.e. 0.0004″)
Click image to enlarge